Lambent Rhythms


Lambent (adj.) marked by lightness or brilliance especially of expression

The fireworks thumped and crackled in the sky as we watched them from the bench in the park. I sat on the seat of the bench, legs pulled up so they were criss-cross, while Ted sat on top of the bench. I leaned on his knee and closed my eyes to listen to the fireworks. I could feel them in my chest. Thump. Crack. I took a deep breath. Thump. Crack.
I felt Ted's palm cover the top of my head. "You good?"
"Yeah."
My eyelids flickered open and I glanced up at him. It was always incredible to me how fast life changed. Just a year ago I was out here with my family, and now - Now, that's not possible. Ted's face lit up as a silver firework sparkled in the sky.
"How much do you think the theme parks spend on fireworks for the 4th?" He laid his chin on his knee as he looked down at me.
"I'm sure over $50,000." I shook my head. "So much money. Not like they could spend that on-" I stopped myself.
Ted put his hand on my shoulder and rubbed it with his thumb. "I'm here."
"I know," tears started to well up in my eyes as I looked up at another firework, this one red, dancing in the sky.
I turned so I could stretch my legs out on the bench seat, and looked up at Ted. He looked back down at me, his eyes glowing like two large, happy, white pebbles.

If you liked this piece you'll also enjoy:

An Oddity in Downtown