The Exuberance He Gives

Jesus said to her, "Mary."
She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, “Rabboni!” (which means “Teacher”). Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” Mary Magdalene went to the disciples with the news: “I have seen the Lord!” And she told them that he had said these things to her.
John 20:16-18, NIV

---

He is alive wearing pure
white robe that
no vermilion blood can stain
no lung-hacking cough sin can stain
no coal-smeared hands of death can stain.
He is alive!
Do you hear me?
He is alive!
He told me He will ascend
to His Father, my Father, our
Father. His God, my God, our
God.

Denying I saw Him
does not make Him
nonexistent.
You can not erase God
with your pink eraser,
beige gum eraser,
grey kneaded eraser,
pearl white vinyl eraser,
for He is not a single pencil mark
to be lost in the chasm
of a poem scratched
between the blue lines,
into the negative space
of college ruled paper.

He is alive! Do you hear me?
I saw Him conquer death.

I

saw

Him.
---
I love Mary Magdalene's story because of her great faith. With Easter coming up on Sunday I wanted to share this poem of joy. Easter is a reminder that Jesus died for our sins and that he rose again, thus conquering sin. I can't imagine how much joy Mary felt when she saw Jesus after she witnessed his death three days prior, but every day I think about the meaning of Jesus' sacrifice and the meaning of His resurrection I get a glimpse into what she must have felt.